Sunday, September 6, 2009

Powdery Vines

Well,

One of my cantaloupe's finally ripened a great deal, and I picked it up today, and wondered why it was so darn light. Turns out that a rodent of some variety had drilled into it, like James and the giant Peach, and the darn thing was chewed clean, little rodent dental lines inscribed into the soft orange flesh of my fruit.

Oh well... it's easy to say you believe in sustainable things and organic things, but the reality of food production has always equated my mouth and the mouth of many others. It doesn't really matter whether you are sentient or not when it's a cantaloupe you are considering. What's to consider?

Most of my cantaloupes are lying around on the ground (there are too many of them), but twelve or thirteen are up on trellis. The ones on trellis are going to be fine. So I 'll just trim down the plant, and remove whatever food that isn't outside the grasp of unwelcome mouths.

The other problem is a bright white bloom of fungus all over my plant. I can't believe it's good for the plant to suffer this white talcum bloom. But then, I'm not sure what could be done about it. I haven't really had inclination to take drastic measures this late in the season. I feel it is unlikely that the fungus (on the leaves) will lead to any problems in the flesh of the fruit. I know there are allotoxins (sic.) that enter foods covered with fungus, so the common sense approach to slightly moldy cheese, ect. (cutting out the bad and eating the good) has been swept from the guidebooks as possibly dangerous to your health. Should I see active mold growth on the fruit, I'd be more concerned. Just a powdery bloom on the leaves. I'll see what I can find.


No comments: