Tuesday, May 26, 2009

How To Bleed A Book


Call me crazy, but, I hate getting letters from wack jobs who troll the world looking for suckers.  I suppose it shouldn't be surprising that one day I would suffer what I have watched my parents suffer my entire life:  everyone wanting their piece of them.  But then, there is something particularly vexing when the wack job is pretending to merely be a vessel of higher calling, overflowing and splashing onto my computer screen.  Washing my feet? I'd like to wring my socks out over the heads of these invisible ding dongs.

The other day I got a comment on a chapter of this blog.  You can read it.  It's one chapter back.  The point is that the comment was from some so called "non profit" started by Mortimer Adler and asking for donations in trade for a DVD of Adler being interviewed about How To Read A Book.  

When algae grows in some cool wet spot in the out of doors I often find it inspiring, worth noticing how opportunistic it is.  It doesn't bother me in the least.

For some reason slimy wack jobs don't do the same thing for me.

I thought about responding in a very non thoughtful manner to the commercial intrusion on this utterly uncommercial blog (notice? no ads?  why the hell would I want an ad for thigh cream on my blog?  I'm sure I'll fall victim to the disease on day, but not any time soon.)

Anyhow, you'd think the IRS would look into the not for profit status of an organization trolling the Internet in Mortimer Adlers name.

Give all your money away when you die, and don't let paid administrators reanimate "the creature" of your memory, just because they can.  

Just a thought.


1 comment:

Max Weismann said...

We are legitimate:

Center for the Study of The Great Ideas
Founded in 1990 by Mortimer J. Adler and Max Weismann
E-mail: TGIdeas@speedsite.com
Home Page: http://www.thegreatideas.org/
A not-for-profit 501(c)3 educational organization
Donations are tax deductible as the law allows